Computer Terrorism : What are the risks
- Tenth Annual International Conference on Criminal
Justice iIssues, Illinois University in Chicago, July 31 to August
- An exhaustive definition is given in the lexicon at
the end of this document.
- The term comes from the color of the hardware seized
at the time of the fraud of 1961. There is currently a whole range of
devices with different functions, each function being associated with
a particular color; designations can vary according to users.
- That can seem legitimate, but the legislation of certain
countries, in particular the USA, regard this practice as being extortion.
- ARPANET is the ancestor of Internet
- The term "war" is slightly different of
"warfare". Warfare indicates hostilities rather being able
to take place even apart from a state of war.
- For a complete and precise definition, look at [LIBICKI95]
- According to the classification of the futurologist
Alvine Toffler in his book War And Anti War, the evolution of
the war in the history of humanity breaks up into three waves: the agrarian
wave (man against man), the industrial wave (massive destruction), the
information wave (attacks directed against information)
- I shortened the scenario, a rather complete version
is in [THOMPM95].
- Transient Electro-Magnetic Pulse Emanation STandart
- NACSIM 5100A
- Listen to systems which are not TEMPEST certified
- Contrary to the phone-tappings.
- Second International Conference on Information
Warfare : " Chaos one the Electronic Superhighway "
July 18, 1995, Hilton Hotel, Dorval Airport, Montreal, Canada
- If we exclude the attack against the World Trade
Center which was carried out in the optics of " traditional "
terrorism, in spite of its action entering the definition of computer
- Example, the last wave of terrorist attacks in France
- Split Hawaiian Islands, where the American fleet
of the Pacific was destroyed by surprise by the Japanese, December 7,
1941, which caused the input of the United States in the Second World
- It is also possible, to initially conduce a conventional
attack then to await the intervention before acting in the computer
field (see the example of simulation)